Languages spoken: Arabic, English
Residence: Dubai, UAE
Mahmoud Mourad serves as legal counsel and the chairman of the mediation panel for the government of Dubai. He is also a mediator with the Global Mediation Unit at the UN Ombudsman Office, as well as with the Arab Mediation Center in Cairo. Moreover, he is a Chief Judge at the Egyptian Courts of Appeal.
Hon Judge Mahmoud Mourad is a Chief Judge at the Egyptian Courts of Appeal seconded to the Legal Affairs Department at the Rulers Court to serve as a Legal Counsel for Dubai Government. He is the Head of the Amicable Settlement Committee “Mediation Committee” in English. He is a qualified mediator from the International Mediation Institute (IMI), and a certified trainer of legal skills with the American Bar Association. Moreover, He is a mediator within the Global Mediation Panel, at the Office of the Ombudsman in the United Nations (UN) and a mediator in the Arab Mediation Center in Cairo.
In 2010, He first learned about conflicts from the social perspective by receiving intensive courses from the UN Mandated University of Peace (UPEACE). Those included conflict analysis, conflict resolution, negotiation, mediation and conflict transformation.
In 2013, he earned his second master’s degree (LLM) from Dickenson School of Law at Penn State University in the US, with specialized studies in Alternative Disputes Resolutions (ADR). His studies included, but not limited to, negotiation, mediation, environmental negotiation, conflict resolution among different cultures, judicial conferences, neutral evaluation, and many other unique dispute resolution forums used around the word.
Throughout the years, Hon. Judge Mourad has conducted hundreds of complex mediations some of worth billions of dollars. The disputes he mediated includes but are not limited to: ethnic groups disputes, international commercial transactions, construction, infrastructure projects, workplace disputes, employment/labor disputes, torts, aviation/transportation disputes and civil disputes.
In 2012, Judge Mourad started his career as a Certified Trainer by being trained and qualified by the American Bar Association (ABA) as a trainer for legal subjects and skills. He built many training manuals and delivered thousands of training hours as the ABA ROLI Expert trainer to Egyptian judges and lawyers. Some of the courses he delivered included Conflict Resolution, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Mediation, Emotional Intelligence, and many other legal skills. Recently, he is delivering with the ADR Center the IMI internationally accredited mediation training in Dubai in Arabic.
Mediation is his passion; it is more than just an alternative for resolving commercial disputes. It is, rather, a way of living, a tool for providing community tolerance. From his multi-level of expertise within disputes’ different disciplinaries as a former police officer, Judge, prosecutor, legal counsel, litigator, and mediator he reached the conclusion that mediation is the ultimate solution. He believes with all his heart and mind in mediation. Hence, he is fully dedicated to advancing Alternative Dispute Resolution methods in the MENA Region and beyond.
Mr. Mourad has litigation experience as an Egyptian Judge and as an attorney for Dubai’s Government. His recent practice with Dubai Government includes both arbitration and courts. Most of the cases he viewed/represent includes the following practice areas:
- Commercial disputes
- Construction disputes including major infrastructure projects
- International commercial disputes<br>
- Labor disputes
- Civil disputes
- Tenancy disputes
- Company and employment disputes
- Family disputes
- Administrative law
Mr. Mourad has served as a mediator since 2010 and continues till now with Dubai Government . He has conducted numerous mediations in disputes between ethnic groups, international commercial transactions, construction, workplace disputes, employment/labor disputes, torts, aviation/transportation disputes and civil disputes.
ADR Achievements and Training
- Weinstein JAMS International Fellowship (2016)
- Founding Member, Mediation for Community Developments Organization (MCDO), an NGO that uses mediation to resolve community disputes in Egypt (2010)
- JAMS Commercial Mediation Training Program, Cairo, Egypt (2016)
- International Court ADR Court Institute Hastings Center for Negotiation and Dispute Resolution, CA (2015)
- Basic Mediation Training, Center for Alternatives in Community Justice’s (CACJ), PA (2013)
- Conflict Analysis & Resolution, Conflict Transformation, Mediation, and Negotiation, The Institute for Peace Studies & University for Peace, Cairo, Egypt (2010)
- International Arbitrator Preparation, Arabic International Arbitration Center, Cairo, Egypt (2006)
ADR Teaching and Mentoring
Mr. Mourad has conducted the following trainings and courses:
- Early prediction and intervention in conflicts for prevention of sectarian violence – A series of invited meetings and trainings in conjunction with MCDO
- Introduction to ADR for law schools graduates – Multiple courses conducted with ABA ROLI in Egyp
- Basics of Mediations for Judges in Egyptian Economic Courts – Multiple courses conducted with ABA ROLI in Egypt
- Mediation for family disputes for Egyptian Family Courts – One course conducted with the Egyptian Justice Department
- Conflict resolution in the workplace for Egyptian Judges – Multiple courses conducted with ABA ROLI in Egypt.
- Master of Laws (LL.M) (Specialized field of study; Arbitration & Mediation & Negotiation), Penn State, Dickinson School of Law, PA (2014)
- Master of Laws (LL.M) (Diploma in International Commercial Law & Diploma in Private Law) Ain Shams Law School, Cairo, Egypt (2003 & 2010)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law and Police Science, Police Academy, Egypt (1997)